Sunday, May 31, 2015

Simple Brined Roast Chicken with Herbs and Garlic for a Five Ingredient or Less #SundaySupper

Simple Brined Roast Chicken with Herbs and Garlic for a Five Ingredient or Less #SundaySupper




I have a bit of déjà vu here...You might remember about a year ago I prepared a salad for a #SundaySupper theme of Five Ingredients or Less. Well, the challenge has returned this week (this time hosted by T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley) and I thought I'd give it a second shot.

Inspiration Behind the Dish

I still maintain that this challenge would be great on Top Chef either as a Quickfire Challenge or a Last Chance Kitchen dish. The rules specify that water, salt, pepper and cooking oil do not count towards the five ingredients. If memory serves me correctly, I relied upon a whole bunch of store-bought ingredients but didn't use any of the "freebee" ingredients. This time around, I've done a complete 180, using all of my freebees in addition to preparing a dish from scratch.

Dish Details

I understand that restaurants, during the process of hiring a head chef, will request each candidate to roast a whole chicken and I couldn't think of a more flavorful way to prepare one given the constraints. Other than a process of roasting a chicken (oven temperature and cooking time) I borrowed from Melissa d'Arabian, this is a Crazy Foodie Stunts original.

Ingredients

1 cup kosher salt plus more for seasoning
1 cup sugar
1 gallon water
1 4-to-5 pound whole chicken
3 to 4 cloves, smashed with the side of a knife
2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 to 3 sprigs fresh sage
Freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Method

1. Brine the chicken. Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and place in a container that holds at least 8 quarts (I use a stockpot). In a separate large bowl, combine the water, 1 cup salt and sugar and stir until dissolved. Pour the season water (or brine) over the chicken, and if necessary weigh the chicken down with a bowl or salad size plate to fully submerge the chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.


2. Roast the chicken. Preheat the oven to 425° Fahrenheit. Remove the chicken from the brine, then discard the brine. Pat the inside and outside of the chicken dry with paper towels, then season the cavity with salt and pepper. Place the herbs and garlic into the cavity, then drizzle about 1 tablespoon (or more, as needed) olive oil over the outside of the bird on both sides and rub it in to coat it evenly. Truss the chicken in the manner described here, then put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan and roast in the oven until the internal temperature in the deepest part of the thigh (but not touching the bone) reaches 175° Fahrenheit, approximately 60 minutes. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and let the chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.


Final Thoughts

I prepared this chicken on a Sunday. I dropped it into the brine at about 10am and removed it about 7 hours later once I was finished with #SundaySupper chat. It was actually one of the more flavorful chickens I've roasted, although it wasn't one of the more prettier pictures I've taken of my food. A whole chicken isn't commonly served in a restaurant setting simply due to the portion size but it makes for a great comfort food at home. If you have never brined your chickens in the past, I urge you to take the extra time to do so. You will be greatly rewarded.

Are you hungry but your pantry bare? Then review the other #SundaySupper dishes that have been prepared using minimal ingredients:

Drinks
Appetizers and Snacks
Main Dish
Side Dish
Desserts
Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't brined a turkey or chicken. Looks like I need to give it a go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love a flavorful roast chicken like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore a brined chicken and yours looks so perfectly succulent! Roast chicken is one dish that is wonderful with very few ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love brined chicken and all the herbs sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not.....I have never brined a chicken or turkey. I keep saying I am going to but then it slips my mind. I am filing this recipe and using it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a delicious chicken, so tender and juicy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've brined individual chicken parts before but never the full bird, I've got to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet the flavor is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so intensely moist! Love it

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcomed. If you're going to be critical, be constructive. In other words, be nice.