Sunday, April 27, 2014

Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette for a Five Ingredient or Less #SundaySupper

Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette




This one sounded like fun from the moment it was announced and presented it's own challenge. This week's #SundaySupper Movement theme is Five Ingredients or Less which is hosted by Alice of Hip Foodie Mom so I knew I had to participate. You might remember her when I welcomed her as a guest last month, so I wanted to participate this week, in part because I admire her so much.

The rules noted that water, salt, pepper and cooking oil did not count towards an ingredient list but the dish I created didn't use any of these ingredients directly anyway. Come to think of it, this challenge would be great to be used on Top Chef either as a Quickfire or Last Chance Kitchen, considering many professional chefs like to use many ingredients in their dishes. However, it has been done in the past, as demonstrated by Claire Robinson on 5 Ingredient Fix.

Before I proceed forward, I'd like to congratulate Brenda from Meal Planning Magic as the winner of my Carla Hall cookbook giveaway.

The Challenge

Prepare a dish using only five ingredients.

The Source

I've adapted the dish from one I found on myrecipes.com.

Ingredients

8 cups mixed spring salad greens
Diced meat from 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
1 small size red onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup store-bought raspberry vinaigrette

Method

1. Toss all ingredients and serve on chilled plates.

Successful?

This salad was well balanced in texture and flavor, with the pecans balancing out the chicken and the sweet dressing balancing out the salad greens.

Other Sunday Supper Participants

One innovation I'm pleased to share that Alice had brought to the Movement was this logo for this week's event. Very colorful, Alice!


Before you go, please check out the other participating bloggers in this week's #SundaySupper event:

Appetizers, Salads and Starters
Sides and Accompaniments
Main Dishes
Desserts and Beverages
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.





36 comments:

  1. Oh yum! What a fantastic salad! I love that you added pecans to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the challenge of coming up with a dish with only 5 ingredients. Most recipes I use have tons of herbs and flavour so the challenge of creating a dish with tons of flavour but few ingredients was a lot of fun. I actually have a raspberry vinaigrette in the fridge that needs using up that I forgot about. Need to get it out and play around with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be happy to eat this for dinner all summer long! So easy, so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and SO healthy! Great post, DB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refreshing salad! Sounds easy yet yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my go-to salad. It's the perfect combination of ingredients! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Your salad looks amazing and healthy! I love the vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful plate of food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love using store bought rotisserie chicken in salads! Easy and guaranteed way to add flavor to your salad! love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the sound of your recipe, DB! So fresh, filling and delicious with that raspberry vinaigrette and the bite of those red onions! Perfect for the spring and summer months!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my kind of salad. Sounds fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quick, easy AND delish…the winning combination in my book. Thanks DB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love light and springy salads like this. So perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fantastic salad. I love the ease and elegance this salad embodies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Easy, tasty and the added pecans are the perfect topper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Easy and delicious, I like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful salad that makes a whole meal, DB!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful and so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious salad, very refreshing for this days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tasty inspiration. Love the raspberry vinaigrette! Toss in a bit of quinoa (when you can do 6 ingredients) and you'll have a "balanced meal in a bowl" :) Thanks, Chef!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there! Long time no talk, thanks for checking in! I've been really busy at work and have had a hard time finding a good balance between work and blogging.

    This recipe looks delicious, I love a good, simple salad!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great healthy dinner that's ready in minutes!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks tasty!! Thanks for sharing with the #SundaySupper group!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so gourmet - you'd never know it was so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful salad with delicious, simple flavors. Perfect for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm a big fan of this salad. I make it similar often, but since I don't have to use only 5 ingredients I usually throw some fruit of some kind in like chopped apples or craisins.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore salads but I will eat them more often if they are made of a few ingredients like this one here. Red onion is perfect for a salad! I have everything I need to make this salad for dinner and I think I will do exactly that. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your salad!Its healthy and very gourmet :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum! I make a similar salad--I love using rotisserie chicken in all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love dishes that are easy to pull together. This can be made quick for a weekday dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that you didn't sugar coat the pecan. Dry toasting really brings out the best flavor. Nice salad!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely salad! I haven't had raspberry vinaigrette yet and need to remedy that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This salad and a glass of wine would be a fabulous dinner for me any night of the week!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcomed. If you're going to be critical, be constructive. In other words, be nice.