|Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce for a Back to School #SundaySupper|
As I stated in my preview I published last Thursday, this week's #SundaySupper theme is Back to School where we are sharing ideas for your lunchbox, after school snacks, school day breakfasts and dinners. For it, I've decided to approach the theme with a dish that works well on busy school nights and when I need to get supper on the table in an expeditious manner, I often turn to pasta dishes.
Inspiration Behind the Dish
For this dish, I went back to the same company where I purchased squid ink tagliolini for a dish I published last month. This purchase was different however, because my prior dish was a spontaneous decision. This wasn't. Their selection of filled pasta included flavors such as mushroom, cheese and pumpkin but what caught my eye was this smoked salmon ravioli. The Flavor Bible noted ingredients such as cream, dill garlic, butter and lemon pair well with smoked salmon and found a sauce that utilized these ingredients.
I adapted the sauce from a recipe I found on recipe.com
1 pound smoked salmon ravioli
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 green onions, sliced thin
2 clove garlic, minced
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Dill sprigs (for garnish)
1. Boil the pasta. Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil over high heat. Drop the ravioli into the water and boil according to the directions on the package. Drain then set aside and keep warm.
2. Prepare the cream sauce. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the green onions and garlic to sweat, approximately 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the cream, then add the lemon zest and dill. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until the sauce thickens, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in the Parmesan. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. To plate, place ravioli into warmed bowls, then drizzle the ravioli with the cream sauce. Garnish with fresh dill and serve.
From a technique standpoint, I normally advocate to undercook the pasta and finish it off in the sauce, but I chose to fully cook here and top the pasta with the sauce for presentation purposes. If you can't find smoked salmon ravioli, most any seafood filling can be an acceptable substitute, or you can add the salmon into the sauce and substituting the ravioli for longer pasta such as lingiune, sticking more closely to the original recipe.
I wasn't happy with how I garnished the dish because the dill looks like something you'd pull out of the drain of your shower while cleaning the bathroom. The flavor profile was definitely present was because both my Mrs. Stuntman and my daughter enjoyed the dish. I'd like to thank Caroline of Caroline's Cooking for co-hosting this week's event with me and please be sure to check out the other dishes offered to make "Back to School" easier this week.
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline's Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing with the Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit 'n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Quinoa, Oat and Pecan Blueberry-Peach Crumb Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- "Nut Butter" Rice Crispy Balls by Books n' Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.