My friend Isabel Laessig, founder and CEO of #SundaySupper Movement and Food and Wine Conference in addition to her own blog, Family Foodie, celebrates her birthday today so a few of us at #SundaySupper got together to mark the occasion by channeling the mission of the Sunday Supper Movement: to bring us back around the family table. Isabel certainly has been an inspiration to me, not only for her commitment to the entities she's founded but for her own dishes such as Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Garlic Caper Sauce and Chicken Fajita Bowls.
|Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil #IsabelsBirthdayBash|
Inspiration Behind the Dish
If you know Isabel at all, you know that she has a soft spot in her heart for chorizo, so I used that as a starting point for my dish. The Flavor Bible noted that apples pair well with the ingredient so I added some as well. I wanted a dish that would be quick to prepare so the host would not need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I also wanted something that would allow party guests to carry it around with a cocktail napkin; a finger-food style hors d'oeuvre or appetizer.
This dish is a Crazy Foodie Stunts original
1 baguette, cut into slices about 1/2-inch wide
1 tablespoon plus more for brushing olive oil, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 shallot, coarsely chopped
1 9-ounce package pork chorizo
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup apple juice
Basil leaves, cut into chiffonade (for garnish)
1. Toast the baguette. Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush each side of the baguette slices with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes to toast. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
2. Prepare the chorizo and apples. Heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots to sweat, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chorizo to brown and break up the chorizo with a spoon, approximately 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with apple juice, and simmer until the pan is mostly dry. To plate, spoon the chorizo onto each baguette slice, then garnish with basil.
If I got the opportunity to do this again, I'd shorten the title to just Apple and Chorizo Crostini or Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Caramelized Shallots because I used the basil as a garnish.
The picture of the plated dish above was taken outside one of the buildings in my apartment complex. When I was almost finished setting up, a couple of neighbors happened to walk by and sampled the dish. They were very complementary and inquired about my website. The dish was also liked by Mrs. Stuntman.
Join me in celebrating Isabel's Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee's Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma's Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections