|Garlic Fried Rice|
Among the many perks I have being married to Mrs. Stuntman, one is my mother-in-law who is of Chinese descent. One evening she demonstrated my favorite Chinese dish, fried rice. There were a couple of things that stuck with me from it. First, it is imperative that the mise en place is completed before starting this dish because it cooks quickly. In fact, if you're preparing a protein to accompany this side dish, start this dish while you allow the protein to finish carryover cooking. Second, use little oil, or else the dish becomes a greasy mess.
Successfully execute an authentic Chinese staple.
This is a Crazy Foodie Stunts original recipe, adapted from my mother-in-law.
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
3 cups cooked white long-grain rice, cooled
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Flat leaf parsley sprigs, for garnish
1. In a large wok or non-stick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the egg and cook until it solidifies, breaking it up into bite sizes pieces as it cooks, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Once completed, remove from the pan and set aside. Add the garlic to the hot oil and cook until it starts to brown, then add the rice and stir to incorporate the garlic with the rice, breaking up any clumps of rice along the way with your spoon. Add the frozen peas and carrots and stir until heated through, then add the eggs back in and the soy sauce. Stir to incorporate. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary, then serve on a warmed plate garnished with parsley sprigs family style.
I normally take pictures while I am preparing my food but in this case, I didn't have any time to do so because, as I stated above, the dish cooks quickly. This dish is also a great way to clean out the refrigerator because almost anything can be added to it. Got leftover chicken? Dice it up and throw it in with the peas and carrots.
Oh, I almost forgot to note, this dish was prepared to celebrate National Garlic Day and this post is part of a group of bloggers organized by Heather of girlichef. Please check out the other garlic dishes below. In addition, there's a giveaway of some pretty cool items and the details are below.
- Black Garlic Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream from girlichef
- Caesar Tartlets with Sweet Garlic Butter Crusts from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Easy Garlic Infused Olive Oil from MarocMama
- Garlic and Herb Lamb Chops from Healthy. Delicious.
- Garlic Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
- Garlic Dill Roasted Potato Wedges from From Gate to Plate
- Garlic Fried Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Garlic Soup with Cheese & Garlic Olive Crunch Bread from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Garlic Trifecta with Quinoa Pasta and Spinach from Peaceful Cooking
- Gnocchetti with Asparagus and Garlic-Gorgonzola Sauce from The Spiffy Cookie
- Heart Healthy Roasted Garlic Chicken Recipe from It's Yummi!
- Roasted Garlic Butter from Basic N Delicious
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Pizza Pockets from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Slow-Roasted Lamb with 40 Cloves of Garlic from Food Lust People Love
- Vampire Garlic Dip from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
GiveawayIn honor of National Garlic Day and our love of the stinking rose, we are giving away a Garlic Lovers Prize Pack (valued at over $100) that includes:
- The Garlic Farmers' Cookbook
- One-year membership to the Garlic Seed Foundation
- 5 Garlic Button Covers
- OXO Good Grips Garlic Press
- The Ultimate Garlic Peeler
- Tumbleweed Pottery Garlic Clove Canister Keeper with Vented Lid
- Terra Cotta Garlic Roaster
- 2 Bulbs of Whole Black Garlic
After you've answered the question for entry into this contest, be sure to record that you did so in the rafflecopter widget below; doing so will unlock many more optional ways to earn entries.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway is open to residents of the Continental USA. Entries will be accepted through 11:59 pm ET on Thursday, April 24, 2014. All entries will be verified. A winner will be chosen from qualifying entries via random draw, and notified via email within 48 hours of the close of this contest. The winner will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to respond with their complete name and mailing address (no P.O. Boxes). If no response is received within 24 hours, a new winner will be chosen.
Prizes provided by The Garlic Seed Foundation, Food Lust People Love and girlichef. Prizes may vary slightly from images shown and are subject to replacement with comparable items if ones pictured are no longer available at the close of this contest. Items may be shipped separately.