Sunday, January 31, 2016

Light Stunt: Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings for a Big Game Day Party Recipes #SundaySupper

Light Stunt: Buttermilk Battered Chicken Wings for a Big Game Day Party Recipes #SundaySupper


My long time readers might remember a chicken wings dish I published two years ago for a similar #SundaySupper theme. After looking at it again, I'll admit that the dish I published previously is a little labor-intensive, especially if you're hosting a game day party. Call this an update that is a little easier so the host can spend more time with their guests.

Inspiration Behind the Dish

Last autumn, I accepted a consultant role for a student business organization that is working to establish itself at the University of Washington's Bothell campus. I joined the organization when I was at school in California so I am familiar with it's operations. When I met this group of students, I told them I write a food blog so I thought I should put up or shut up when they hosted a barbecue on a Friday night a few weeks ago. I chose chicken wings because they can be served as a finger-food hors-d'oeuvres and it is an easy way to serve a large crowd, which translates well to a big game watch party.

Dish Details

Chicken wings are a sports bar staple, however I found this recipe on foodnetwork.com a little more intriguing. More on that below. The night I prepared this dish for the barbecue, I had to double the ingredient quantities since I was feeding approximately fifty people but I replicated it again a couple of nights later using the original amounts.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joints with the tips removed
1 1/2 all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
Vegetable oil, for frying
Flat leaf parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)

Method

1. Place the chicken wings in a resealable bag then pour the buttermilk over them and add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Ensure all of the chicken is submerged in the buttermilk, then refrigerate for 30 minutes. While the wings are soaking, combine the flour, paprika and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl, then fill a stockpot with vegetable oil to at least a 1-inch depth and heat to a temperature of 350° Fahrenheit.

2. Once 30 minutes have expired, drain the wings, then dredge them in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.


Deep fry them in batches until the wings are golden, approximately ten minutes. Using a slotted spoon, drain the wings on a paper towel lined plate before serving, garnished with parsley leaves.


Final Thoughts

The link I referenced above has fifty chicken wings recipes but I specifically chose the eighth for a couple of reasons. First, the members of the student organization requested that they not be too spicy and second, I wanted to test the pairing of buttermilk and chicken for myself after hearing of Chef Thomas Keller's legendary buttermilk fried chicken.

The feedback I received from the student organization was positive, but I really only had a bite or two that evening just to evaluate doneness. When I went back and replicated the dish a few nights later, I was surprised to find the wings so well seasoned considering only 1 teaspoon of salt was used.

Hopefully, these other dishes prepared for this week's #SundaySupper theme will be helpful if you're still planning for a watch party. They're listed below.

Appetizers and Sides
Main Dishes
Desserts and Drinks
Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

20 comments:

  1. I had some really good wings recently in Detroit -- most unusual flavor -- and kept telling my husband they were marinated in buttermilk! Need to try this recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I also shared a chicken wing recipe two years ago for #SundaySupper. Great minds think alike! I love how crispy your wings are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm These look like something I get at a restaurant! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can come cook at my home anytime you want! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wings are always a hit on game day and yours look perfectly crisp and crunchy, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are big wing people and these look perfectly cooked. I like your idea about submerging them in buttermilk first for a good soak. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delicious! I love chicken wings, especially when they are deep fried in buttermilk battered. Oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DB these looks delicious! The batter looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. Love that crispy coating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are some of the best wings I've seen in a while. I'm a sucker for a good piece of crunchy chicken. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some chicken wings in our freezer from a past meat box that I keep meaning to do something with - these look so good I might have my answer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get over how crispy they look! There's nothing better than a super-crispy piece of chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The buttermilk marinade sounds like a great idea for leg quarters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always have the best recipes but this is the bomb!!!! I can't resist fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really don't fry too much just because of health, but wow these look so perfectly crisp and browned. I may have to make an extra special treat this game day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum!!! These would be a delicious addition to a party spread!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my go to Fried Chicken recipe but I never thought to use it just for wings!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, crispy, crunchy wings! I bet the students inhaled them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like these came out just right! It's fun as a long time blogger to come back around to recipes and see how we can improve them, or at least vary them.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcomed. If you're going to be critical, be constructive. In other words, be nice.