|Spaghetti with Meatball Pearls for a New Year's #WeekdaySupper|
Happy 2015! I trust everyone reading this has a pleasant Holiday. If each new year offers the opportunity for a new start, 2015 is true for me on several levels. It is my first winter as a Washington resident. I'll also start the year with a new rear bumper on my car. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. I was stopped at a light when someone tapped me from behind as they were decelerating probably going 5 miles per hour or less. There were no injuries to either party involved in the collision.
Speaking of beginning again, today is the first day back at the office for most, so this dish is very timely. I like the concept of this dish because it's classic comfort food, but without the work normally required for the dish.
Adapted from pages 18 and 77 of Fabio's Italian Kitchen by Fabio Viviani with Melanie Rehak.
6 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of a chef's knife
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 28-ounce can whole or diced San Marzano tomatoes, puréed
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound sweet Italian sausage meat, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons fresh basil
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
12 ounces box spaghetti
1. Fire a large pot of well-salted water over high heat to bring to a boil. Separately, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once the oil starts to smoke, add the garlic and sauté until the cloves are lightly browned. Stir in the tomato purée into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the tomatoes reduce and the sauce thickens.
2. Stir the chicken stock into the tomato sauce and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Drop the pasta into the water and boil for 2 to 3 minutes less than the directions on the package instruct. Add the sausage pearls into the sauce and cook for at 10 to 12 minutes until the sausage has fully cooked through. Once the pasta has cooked, drain, then toss with the sauce. Serve in warmed bowls garnished with basil and parmesan.
Before you go, check out the other Weekday Suppers that follow this one!
- Tuesday, January 6th: Chicken Salad Sandwich by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Wednesday, January 7th: Pulled Pork Tacos with Harvest Slaw by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Thursday, January 8th: Moroccan Roasted Cauliflower in Tomato Sauce by Nik Snacks
- Friday, January 9th: Egg Drop Soup by The Foodie Army Wife