Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bloody Rice for a Halloween #SundaySupper

Bloody Rice


No, I didn't actually cook rice in blood, but 'fess up and admit that I provoked you to click on my link out of curiosity, huh?

This week's #SundaySupper event has taken on a Halloween theme and is being hosted by Kathia of Basic N Delicious. I thought I'd get into the spirit by renaming my red wine risotto. In discussing risotto with some other food blogger colleagues, I have found a love/hate relationship with the dish. They either love preparing it or are scared of it. You might note where my allegiance lies with my numerous risotto dishes I've published already. It isn't a difficult dish to prepare; it just requires constant attention so a completed mise en place is essential before beginning.

The Challenge

Risotto doesn't get more basic than this version. Could the flavor of the wine stand alone?

The Source

I used Chef Fabio Viviani's recipe I found on his website.

Ingredients

1 quart chicken stock
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
1 cup red wine
1/3 cup shredded parmesan plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped for garnish

Method

1. Place the chicken stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions to the oil and sweat them until softened, approximately 5 minutes. Add in the rice to toast and stir so that each grain of rice is coated in the oil. Deglaze the pan with red wine and stir the rice continually to loosen any fond until most of the liquid has been mostly absorbed. Add one ladle of the simmering chicken stock to the rice and stir continually until it has been absorbed. Continue the process of adding stock and stirring until absorbed until the rice is al dente and the mixture is creamy. Periodically taste the rice after the first two or three additions of stock to determine when the rice has cooked through. You may or may not need all of the stock. Once the rice has cooked, remove from heat and stir in the butter and parmesan, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into warmed bowls and garnish with extra parmesan and tarragon.

Successful?

I've documented the risotto process in my other dishes, but I wanted to share the striking photo I took when I deglazed the rice.


Despite it being a rather plain dish, the red wine in addition to the other seasonings made the dish flavorful. I especially liked the tarragon garnish because it provided a contrast in flavor, however I think I might try some additional flavors next time. This dish is also reminiscent of a risotto bianco that can be found on page 121 of Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking by Michael Chiarello with Janet Fletcher. Chef Chiarello recommends using this it as a base and then stirring in sauces such as pesto or Bolognese to add flavor.

Other Sunday Supper Participants

Sunday Supper Movement

And finally, please check out this week's other Sunday Supper contributors:

COCKTAILS

SWEETS AND DESSERTS

CUPCAKES, COOKIES AND MORE

APPETIZER, MAIN MEALS

17 comments:

  1. Love it! What a perfect savory dish for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent idea. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title pulled me in...yikes. But, this recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how I feel about rice and you just gave me the inspiration to try a new version! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewww, I love it!! What a great name for your rice! This is such a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah risotto... ah red wine... all good stuff put together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had red wine risotto balls at a party yesterday, and LOVED THEM! I must try your dish! Eeeeuuuuwww on the name. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for the season! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew. I'm glad there was no blood involved ;) Wonderful risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh what a delicious risotto. Spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfectly ghoulish cooking rice in red wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's definitely a delightfully creepy color! And risotto's always a good choice in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my kind of dish anytime, DB! I love the flavors and more often have open red wine on hand rather than white so I'll be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mm, looks good! (And perfectly spooky!) I'm with you about making risotto -- I find it easy, and relaxing, even. As long as you have everything ready before you begin, it's almost impossible to mess up. What are the chances you're going to burn your rice when you're standing there stirring it the whole time? I'm always surprised when people say how intimidating risotto is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely disgusting title. But the recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcomed. If you're going to be critical, be constructive. In other words, be nice.