Saturday, June 15, 2013

Beer Can Chicken for a Father's Day #SundaySupper

Beer Can Chicken


Happy Father's Day!

This dish is one of my all-time favorites. I love beer can chickens for several reasons:

1) They are great fun for backyard barbecues in the summer. What's funnier than a chicken with a can of beer up it's backside?
2) When prepared properly, it tastes great and the meat is juicy.
3) The preparation is simple which frees you to focus on your side dishes.

For a while, it made it into my regular rotation of dinners (I prepared one once or twice per month), but I haven't prepared it as frequently in recent months because I don't have a grill. The principles are still the same. I brine the chicken beforehand to add flavor and moisture.

The Challenge

Adapt a traditionally grilled dish so it is prepared in the oven

The Source

The ingredients are a Foodie Stuntman original, but I was helped along with the method from food.com.

Ingredients

4 quarts cold water
1 cup sugar
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 whole fryer chicken, (I used a 5-pound bird)
1 12-fluid ounce can cheap beer
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon each of fresh herbs

Method

1. Brine the chicken: Add 1 cup sugar and salt to water and stir until dissolved. Place the chicken in an 8 quart (or larger) container and pour the brine over the chicken. (You might need to put something on top of the chicken to keep it fully submerged.) Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight.


2. Season and cook the chicken: Remove one rack from the oven and place the other on the lowest level possible. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Remove the chicken from the brine and discard the brine. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and rub the olive oil into the skin of the bird on all sides. Combine the salt, pepper and herbs into a bowl and rub underneath the skin of the breast, inside the cavity and on the skin on all sides.


Remove the top of the can of beer with a can opener and discard about one-third of the beer (or drink it). Add the red pepper flakes and a couple of leftover sprigs of herbs into the beer. Put the beer on a baking sheet and position the chicken over the beer so that the opening of the can is inserted into the cavity of the chicken so that the chicken stands upright. Tuck the wingtips behind the breasts similar to how you would truss the chicken. Place the chicken in the oven and cook until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh (without touching the bone) reaches 175° Fahrenheit, approximately 75 minutes to 90 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes to allow for carryover cooking. Carve and serve.

Successful?

I chose to keep the brine simple but you can flavor it with other ingredients if you wish. You might also wonder why I didn't specify which herbs I used to season the chicken. I had leftover herbs from the chimichurri sauce but it can vary with whatever is on hand at the time you prepare the chicken. Also, freeze the leftover carcass to make some chicken stock.

Other Sunday Supper Participants

And finally, please check out this week's other Sunday Supper contributors:

Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
Dad’s Favorite Desserts

20 comments:

  1. Roasted chicken is one of my favorite comfort meals, especially when accompanied by roasted potatoes and gravy. This method looks perfect for keeping the chicken lovely and juicy inside. Hope you are having a great Fathers' Day, DB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never actually done beef can chicken before but it looks so fun. I am going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been intrigued by beer can chicken! I simply must try! What a great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to try beer can chicken! It looks like fun! :) Love you recipe, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always hear how great chicken is this way, but I've never made it before. I might have to remedy that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always hear how great chicken is prepared this way, but I've never tried it. I might ned to remedy that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite way to cook a chicken!!!! Amazing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been tempted to do beer can chicken for the longest time. Yours with soaking the chicken in the brine first makes it doubly flavorful - and what makes it moist and tender. Great meal for any dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chicken looks fabulous, perfect recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to learn that it is possible to make this in the oven. Yay!!! - Bea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love beer can chicken-so moist and easy to make! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love beer can chicken. The photo is fabulous. It turned out perfectly. Hope you had a great Fathers Day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Yum! Is there anything better than a really good brined chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, delicious! I have been dying to try a beer can chicken at home, and I have yet to do so! I think you might have inspired a dish on my menu for this week...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, delicious! I have been dying to try making a beer can chicken at home, and have yet to do so! I think you've inspired a dish for my menu this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never done BCC, probably because I don't eat meat, but I hear it's amazing! One day I'll find someone to make it for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a fun, easy recipe ! Beer is a natural meat tenderizer so can imagine that helps !

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun yummy way to roast a chicken. beer is a natural meat tenderizer, so can imagine that will make it quite moist !

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is something kind of well, you know, about that chicken sitting on a can of beer! ;) The flavor combos sound terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always wanted to try beer butt chicken! Never thought of making it in the oven--now I'll have to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always welcomed. If you're going to be critical, be constructive. In other words, be nice.